Sunday, November 21, 2010

What Budgeting Software Do You Use?

I was just about to buy Quicken 2011 when I read its reviews on Amazon. Ouch! I've used it in the past and liked it, but the reviewers are telling me it's worse, not better.

Recently, I tried out mint.com, but I didn't like it. It was great for tracking spending, but lousy for projecting future balances. Excel works OK for large-scale budgeting, but it's horrible for managing actual accounts.

Which leaves ... what? If you've got a favorite or just something you muddle along with, I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

Foxfier said...

I use USAA.com... it tracks stuff, assigns (most) of what my spending is, and has really nice rates for everything.

Not sure how portable that is, though.

tim eisele said...

Afraid I can't be much help here, my budgeting needs are quite simple and I just use a spreadsheet when necessary [1]

But this brings up a question: what does budgeting software do that a spreadsheet doesn't do? And what do you need it to do? Is this one of those things that I actually do need, and just don't know it yet?

[1] I also still hand-code HTML, though. So maybe it's just me.

K T Cat said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm going to go ahead with Quicken and blog the results.

Tim, Quicken easily allocates spending into budget lines. It also downloads statements for easy reconciling.