Saturday, August 01, 2009

Environmentalism as a Religion

I suggest it is one. Here's a short synopsis.

I preach traditional, Catholic morality on this blog. I know that in the grand scheme of things, my adherence to Catholicism is mostly irrelevant. That is, I may succeed in remaining faithful to my wife or chaste before marriage, but I know that for every one of me, there are tens or hundreds of college guys in the bars in Pacific Beach trying (and succeeding!) to get laid.

I do not practice chastity because it's going to change the world, but because my religion tells me not to do so would be a sin.

Similarly, cap and trade is irrelevant. India and China, nations with populations many times our size, have told us to bugger off when it comes to CO2 emissions. In the time it takes us to reduce ours by 20%, they will have increased theirs by much, much more. I'm sure Indonesia won't be far behind. As those three population giants progress, our reductions in CO2 will be washed away, yet American environmentalists cling to the belief that we need to reduce our CO2 emissions.

I suggest that this is analogous to my own efforts at chastity. America is being commanded to reduce its CO2 levels not because it will actually make a difference, but instead because it is a sin against the religion of environmentalism.

Meanwhile, we have Chateau Gore. He's the analog of the televangelist who preaches about donating to the poor while living in a mansion.

1 comment:

Secular Apostate said...

You need remember only this catechism:

(1) Global warming causes everything bad and baddens things you didn't know were bad.

(2) Everything proves global warming, nothing disproves it.

(3) The only way to stop global warming is to tax the hell out of the American people.

(#s 2 & 3 courtesy Don Surber)