Monday, March 09, 2009

A Weekend That Made it all Worthwhile

As many of you know, I'm a single father (soon to be remarried - Yay!) and I spend a lot of time with my kids working hard to help them succeed. This weekend was about 10% work and 90% payoff.

My daughter, a Russian orphan adopted at 15 months, played four soccer games and her teams won them all. She's had a difficult time of it throughout her life, recovering from her lack of human interaction in her first 15 months. It's been a long, erratic journey finding something she liked to do and helping her excel at it, but this weekend it all paid off. Her club team took third place in their indoor soccer league and her school team won the championship. Her best position is right defender and she played full-on Ronde Barber defense in the second game on Saturday.

My son has taken to surfing and track in high school. This week he was named captain of the pole vaulting team and got to start in the weekend surf meet. He then ran off and had a wild weekend with his buddies. After I hadn't seen him any more than 30 minutes in 3 days, I joked with my fiancee that he was like the male dog that gets loose and comes back home three days later exhausted and happy.

No, I didn't say he was doing that, I said it was like that. Sheesh! Keep it clean, people!

Life is good. I hope you had a great weekend, too.

2 comments:

Wollf Howlsatmoon said...

Heh....I know the feeling. Wolfie the Elder, 16 now, pops in and out of the Lair....always a new mountain to climb, a new adventure to be had.

Be glad that they're real, old fashioned American Guys.....

K T Cat said...

Free range children are the best!