Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving Came Early This Year

... in fact, it came around 0330. That's when I woke up. I couldn't get back to sleep, which was fine because I normally get up around 0400 and an extra 30 minutes of sleep isn't going to make that much of a difference.

We're deep-frying the turkey again this year. This will be the fourth year in a row we've fried the bird and every time the results have been spectacular. Each year, I try to add an improvement. I brined it overnight in the water and vegetable stock mix recommended over at Deep South Dish. Last year, I used store-bought stock, which is always inferior to homemade, so this year, I used a recipe from Southern Living and made my own.

The only drawback to frying the gobbler is the difficulty making gravy. There are no drippings to speak of, although I just thought of something. If I put a pan under the turkey as I pull it out of the fryer, I'll get some drippings that way. Genius! You've got to get up pretty early in the morning, probably at 0315, to do better than this cat! :-)

Anywho, the other problem is the lack of a turkey stock for the gravy. This year, I bought two pounds of frozen turkey necks from Food 4 Less and when I got up this morning, I started browning them to make the stock described in Terry Thompson's irreplaceable Cajun-Creole Cooking. The necks are done and now the veggies are browning in the oven.

It has begun!

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone, and know that one of the things I'm most thankful for is you.

Browned necks. Yum!

3 comments:

One Brow said...

happy Thanksgiving to you, as well. Mine's in the oven for the next 7-8 hours, as I don't have the courage to deep-fry it.

Mostly Nothing said...

We haven't deep fried in a while now. Used to do a couple of them on campouts. The Scouts have had a turkey dinner camp (parents etc invited) for 15 years. Not being able to brine camping, we had the syringe with basking stuff. That worked well.

We change from deep frying to trashcan turkeys, as my nephew's Troop did that. Basically you are making a charcoal oven to bake. Makes a really good turkey.

The problem I have with deep frying is the oil is so expensive. And basically single use.


This year, we did something a little different. Cornish game hens. Those came out good. And they we started talking that they would be good in the smoker...

Ohioan@Heart said...

Happy Thanksgiving to KT and Wife Kitteh and all the readers of this blog.

Mrs Ohioan has her bird in the oven. Later one of our sons (and family of course) will come over and we’ll risk the plague (and Goober Nuisance can kiss my hind quarters if he doesn’t like it). Last night as we were winding down towards bedtime we were talking and came to the conclusion that this bird represents something like turkey #100 she’s prepared. It’s been 40 years of Thanksgiving, Christmas, some Easters and a few other here and there (like the time son number 3 asked for turkey with all the trimmings for his birthday dinner one year). Astounding how fast the years add up...