Friday, October 30, 2020

Hummingbird Rescue

Our yard usually has 2-3 hummingbirds zooming around in it. They're feisty little things, constantly squabbling with each other over territory. Well, that's not entirely true. We had a mated pair with babies this year and that was really cute. The babies looked like moths, they were so small.

Anywho, two of them got into our house a few days back, probably chasing each other around the yard and mistaking an open door for a path to safety. One of them went up into the skylight over our stairs. That's always a dreadful place to try to catch a bird, but I managed to get him and put him outside.

When I was done with the first one, I couldn't find the second one. I knew he had gone upstairs, but he had his cloaking device activated and was invisible. Last night, he came out and was buzzing around my study. I grabbed our insect / bird net and managed to catch him without harm. I put him outside and he flew off into the darkness, but I felt really bad for him as he'd been in the house for two days or so.

This morning, I came across this video. My little guy wasn't nearly this weak, but I wish I'd been able to offer him some sustenance like this. Enjoy.

No comments: