I hated it.
I had no idea who she was. At first, I thought it was a guy with a weird voice and an odd delivery. Then I realized the voice was vaguely feminine. I wondered just why we were having to listen to a woman announce an NFL game. What was the added value? To me, it was just another in-your-face social justice cram-down. Look how "woke" we are! We've got a woman doing play-by-play! If you don't like it, you're a misogynist!
And to be truthful, I wondered if it was actually some transgendered dude. This was ESPN, after all.
Over on sbnation, they had a blog post about the glorious step forward. Here's a tidbit.
There’s a woman calling play-by-play for the Chargers-Broncos game, and it’s about time.Why was it "about time?" She's ready for it? Who cares if she's ready for it? This isn't about her, it's about us. We, the deplorable rednecks to whom she has the misfortune to broadcast, we're the ones who matter. So how did she do, this Susan B. Announcerny? Badly. Very badly. Here are some representative comments from that blog post.
Beth Mowins will be in the booth doing play-by-play for the Chargers-Broncos matchup on Monday Night Football. This marks the first time in 30 years a woman has called play-by-play for an NFL game...
Mowins has been calling play-by-play for college football games for ESPN since 2005. She was only the second woman in NCAA history to do so. She’ll start her NFL play-by-play career on one of the league’s biggest stages: Monday Night Football. She’s ready for it.
There's the difference between the elites and the normals in stark relief, illustrated by an NFL broadcast. The elites are all excited about Beth being ready for her opportunity to shatter the glass ceiling of broadcasting. The normals hated it.
- This Mowins chick sounds like a man who smokes about 20 cartons a day. Her voice is so irritating that I’m switching to 9/11 documentaries. That sidelines person named Dipp can hardly get a sentence together. He needs to go.
- I have three people over to watch the Charger Game and NOT ONE of the people including me can understand a single word the Female announcer is uttering. Why have an announcer that NO ONE can hear. We are watching the game with the mute button ON.
- But I’m picturing a 13 year old boy, at the beginning of puberty, listening to her talk.
- I have the mute button on as I can’t stand to listen to Beth Mowins in any sport. I prefer a male announcer but surely there is someone with a better voice than Mowins.
- She is the worst NFL announcer I have ever heard in my life. Why? Why torture us with this hag's horrible voice? I'm skipping this game, I'll watch the scoreboard from NFL.com instead of suffering this cow.
- I thought Dennis Miller was bad. This woman is horrendous. Absolutely miserable to listen to. Ruins the entire game. I know ESPN is the snowflake liberal, ultra PC organization that actually removed an announcer from a SEC game, ‘cause his name was Robert Lee (he’s Asian decent. Lee is a common name in Asia). But this is about a last straw for me. With the spoiled players now thumbing their noses at the American Flag and anthem and now this miserable, so annoying MNF announcer. I’m not even going to watch this **** any more.
Sadly, all the normals can do is hate it and change the channel. It's not like the elites can hear us complain.