Friday, June 12, 2020

Leah

After getting some smudgy, blurred photos from my elderly Nikon D60 Artillery Piece, I shelved it in favor of my newer Fuji camera. While attempting to photograph birds in my backyard, I discovered that the Fuji didn't have good telephoto capabilities. The Nikon had a telephoto lens that made distance shots a breeze, so I brought it back out and tested it.

The Artillery Piece is indeed declining with age. It will no longer autofocus with the telephoto lens at maximum magnification, but it still takes fine photos. It's back to being my favorite camera. I like the ergonomics of it much better than the Fuji which I find to be unnecessarily complicated.

While playing with the Nikon in the back yard, I got this photo of Leah, one of our chihuahua mixes. I think she's a gorgeous dog and the shot came out particularly well. I left it large so you can enjoy her elegant beauty.

3 comments:

tim eisele said...

Yeah, one of the big problems with newer cameras is that they are cheaping out on the lenses, and trying to compensate for indifferent-quality glass with electronic processing. There is really no replacement for good glass, though, and a high-quality lens from 20 years ago is still a high-quality lens now. If you can upgrade your body, your expensive lenses should be fine.

Incidentally, I just went to the KEH used camera market (keh.com), which is where I buy almost all of my gear, and the Nikon D60 camera body is currently priced at a whopping $49.87. I'm not a Nikon guy (all my good lenses are Canon), so I don't know what the successor to the D60 is, but I bet KEH could set you up with something about 6 years old for less than $250

ligneus said...

I have the D7100 and I find it just great. And that's a fabulous photo of your doggie. Perfect background too.

K T Cat said...

Tim - Thanks for the suggestions! I think I was just too quick to throw in the towel on that camera.

ligneus - Thanks, I quite agree. It was a very fortunate photo.