Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Wall Dinosaur

I've been fighting temporary, situational depression lately. I woke up at 0415, in plenty of time to go to the gym, managed to get out of bed by 0430 and here I am, blogging. I didn't work out. I got up, so that's something at least. As I lay there, pondering how to cope with the depression, considering going back to sleep, I figured that if laying in bed was a remedy for depression, all those depressed people who can't get out of bed would be fine.

So I got up. I made my coffee and then made the mistake of sitting down with my phone while I sipped the Black Elixir of Life. Time went by and it became too late for the gym. That wasn't good. Failing at something reinforces the depression. Had I worked out, even partially, I'd be able to look on that as a success and encourage myself to do more.

Note: Like everything else on this blog, I'm writing this to work things out in my head. I learn through expression, which is why I inflict all this stuff on you.

Maybe the key is to stay in motion, even if the motion is inefficient, desultory or languid. Being idle and inert is the enemy.

On to the lizard photo. I took this a day or two ago. It's a baby lizard that was on the wall of our garage. I liked the contrast and he held still while I got close, so his details are visible. I had thought I could make him really pop if I brought him into Photoshop and adjusted color levels and vibrance, but since it's essentially a grayscale image, nothing really made a difference. Still, I think he's a handsome fellow. I think he's worth a click.

Enjoy.

8 comments:

tim eisele said...

He is a handsome fellow. I like the way his little claws dig into practically microscopic holes and crevices in the wall so that he can hang on, in spite of not having the sticky discs on his toes that a lot of other wall-crawlers use.

As for the rest of your post, you just summed up my whole problem with using gyms for exercise. It then becomes a Thing that is Done Separately, which means you have to make time for it. Which is why my preferred type of exercise is to bike to work - I am exercising in the process of doing something that I have to do anyway, so it doesn't become Yet Another Thing that has to be worked into my schedule.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the key is to stay in motion, even if the motion is inefficient, desultory or languid. Being idle and inert is the enemy.

This is me. When I get home on a workout day, I have to stay in motion until I get back out the door. If I stop to sit on the couch, I am doomed; it is like a black hole for motivation. Newton's lesser known fourth law of motion, bodies lying on the couch inevitably stay lying on the couch. And when I go to the gym tired, the first few sets are off, but usually by the third I am back to normal. I also find that there is a tired joy leaving after the workout, I have overcome my own listlessness.

Foxfier said...

My folks dropped off an elliptical that they didn't have room for anymore. I've started doing 10 minutes on it, daily-- it really does seem to be helping. Can't be the exercise, because it's on the lowest possible thing-- but just some movement when I can zone out, not be dodging kids and cats, listing to music and singing badly.

K T Cat said...

I like the gym because I lift weights and they have the best set of machines. My body can't take the free weights any more, so I really need the stability of the machines.

I lift weights because I like seeing myself with bigger muscles. Yep, it's all vanity.

:-)

Foxfier said...

We're at LEAST 40 minutes from the nearest gym, and I hate gyms. Bad enough I have to see me, but someone else?!?!?

ligneus said...

I expect I'll put my foot in it but, Count your blessings? Or simply being intrigued at being alive at this very moment, being able to see, what a miracle that is.
So I'm a simple sort but sometimes simple is good.

K T Cat said...

ligneus, the day is coming when I won't be able to do it any more. Might as well do it while I can. The depression is coming from other things.

ligneus said...

So that sounds serious, sorry to hear that. I have pinned up over my desk, 'Sufficient Unto the Day is the Evil Thereof' I find it helps when life overwhelms a bit. I was diagnosed with heart failure about eight months ago and I'm in mid reno on my son's house so I have to keep working! It's like I"m in a race to get it done before I can't work any more. At 83 I can't complain, I've had a good run.
Another help has been this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Good-Life-Ancient-Stoic/dp/0195374614/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=stoic+good+life&qid=1564101288&s=books&sr=1-1

And then there's music! [Headphones!]

https://youtu.be/R09_5qTnHPg