Tuesday, July 20, 2010

We're Not Smarter Or Wiser, We Just Make Bigger Mistakes Faster

In the past few years, I've spent some time reading ancient literature. The Bible, St. Augustine, Sophocles, St. Thomas Aquinas and so on. What I've learned is that people who lived thousands of years ago were just as wise as we were and faced the same problems. It's a good bet that each entry in the Book of Proverbs came from as a result of hard experience. Dig Dave Ramsey's favorite, Proverbs 22:7.

"The rich ruleth over the poor: and the borrower is servant to him that lendeth."

I wonder if that was written after the guy's credit card bill arrived in the mail.

Why, oh Lord, did you not grant me an iPad?

2 comments:

Aon said...

If you're interested in ancient literature I'd recommend Julius Ceasar's 'Commentarii de Bello Gallico'. Once you get past him referring to himself in the third person it's quite an interesting commentary of the invasion of modern France and Britain.

K T Cat said...

Outstanding idea! I'll add this to my Amazon wish list. Thanks!