Thursday, October 27, 2011

Film Noir Bible Research

At the suggestion of a local parish priest, I'm listening to Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ. Lee was a legal reporter for the Chicago Tribune who was an atheist. When his wife converted to Christianity, he decided to research this Jesus fellow in the manner of his court reporting.

The Audible version is read by Dick Fredricks like a film noir narration. It makes the whole thing come across like an old movie. It's a little distracting, but in a fun way. As the story moves along, Lee interviewing one scholar after another, trying to get to the truth of the matter, I imagine him in a smoke-filled office, fingering the .45 in his pocket, wondering if the suspect he's grilling is lying to him or is about to pull out a gun and shoot him.

The Romans had found him guilty and executed him, but something just seemed fishy to me. A couple of phone calls had led me to ask some questions the cops didn't want asked. When I returned to my office, they were there waiting for me. It was going to be a long night.

No comments: