Friday, March 22, 2024

Passing Judgment On Yourself

One of Jordan Peterson's rules is:

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who someone else is today.

That is so hard for me. I was at a meeting today for work. I work out like a madman and I have been for 3 full years now. Wife kitteh says I look sexier than I have ever looked. I've had to change my shirts from L to XL because my shoulders and back are larger.

Yay?

No yay! There was a guy across the table from me, a younger fellow, someone who probably doesn't work half as hard as I do, but he was bigger than I was.

DANG!

Last week, an SDPD friend of mine and his wife took us out to a Mercy Me concert. We had a great time and we love this couple dearly. When we took our leave at the end of the night, I gave him a big hug. He's way bigger than I am.

DANG!

It's so hard not to pass judgment on myself when other guys are more built than I am. "I have failed!" I think. It's all nonsense, it's all irrational, but there it is.

Here, King Arthur, in the presence of the Knights of the Round Table, passes judgment on a cat who is indifferent to the whole affair.

I need to be more like that cat.

Super Special Bonus Content For Tim

On my last post, Tim pointed out that at our age we're past the point of having crazy physical goals like power lifting and 70# dumbbell curls. My reply comes from Robert Browning.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's heaven for?

Crazy goals are my thing, man. On my deathbed, I'll regret not having been crazier.

3 comments:

tim eisele said...

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp,"

That's OK in cases where failing to make the reach just means you can try again later, but I think it is bad advice for, say, rock climbing without a rope. Or skydiving.

Or, in the case of body building, when over-reaching means you are laid up for six weeks and lose almost everything gained up to that point.

Besides, you are comparing yourself to the wrong people. You should be comparing yourself to the 60-year-olds who are physical wrecks, and are hobbling around like they are on their last legs. They outnumber the buff guys by a big margin.

Mostly Nothing said...

You can compare yourself to me KT. I'm sure I'm still bigger than you, but I haven't lifted weights in years. There's no tone. Mostly we just go for walks.

Congrats to my Huskies. Looks like they'll be going to Providence to face Boston College. I'm sure we'll be donating to get the Misfits out there. (college hockey - or cawlidge hawkey as Buccigross calls it)

IlĂ­on said...

At least you don't have to go for XXL ... simply for the longer sleeves.