Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Jesus Is Just About The Worst Boss In The World

 ... that's what I'm learning from recent homilies, almost all of which were preached by our deacons. Our priest is notably better, but now that I see what I'm about to describe, I don't think I'll miss it when anyone does it.

First, Jesus takes credit for all your successes. In a recent Sunday homily, we were informed that the Parable of the Talents is not about striving for success and God being pleased with your efforts.

Jesus told his disciples this parable: "A man going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents...Immediately the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five"...

"After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them. The one who had received five talents came forward bringing the additional five. 

He said, 'Master, you gave me five talents. See, I have made five more.'

His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master's joy.'"

No, it's all about giving the credit to God. Also, it's not about working hard or earning a profit. What Jesus is really saying is that we should give what we have to others because that's the way we will earn our reward.

A reward which, if the sermons I've heard for a decade or more are to be believed, Jesus will immediately take away from you because all credit must go to God.

Meanwhile, your sins are your own. You need to repent and change. If you do and good things result, don't expect any praise or congratulations. All credit goes to God.

That's the very definition of a horrible boss. When you succeed, they take the credit and when you fail, you get the blame.

Just where they get this idea is beyond me. They certainly aren't getting it from the Bible.

His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master's joy.'

No, the version of God I hear in the sermons and when I go to other Catholic meetings looks something like this. 

2 comments:

tim eisele said...

Yep. Not much else I can say about that, you've pretty much nailed it.

Ilíon said...

One of the things you're noticing is that there is a deep strain of ultra-Calvinism within Catholicism, despite its official repudiation and condemnation of Calvinism. Myself, I realized this when I first read (perhaps on the 'Catholic Encyclopedia' web-site) the rationale for the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception -- in a nutshell: If Mary had been infected with Original Sin (as the rest of us are), she wouldn't have been able to freely assent to be the 'Theotokos'. Thus (or rather, if one accepts that assertion), it is a logical necessity that God create her free of sin. Nevermind that that line of reasoning turns Christ's salvific work into a pointless mummer's play.