Saturday, March 11, 2023

Don't Wait

I'm sure I've used this quote sometime in my last 17 years of blogging, but it's so good that it deserves to be used again. In Arthur Gordon's excellent book, A Touch of Wonder, there is a chapter describing a visit he had with Rudyard Kipling. Kipling was a waterfall of wisdom and Gordon struggled to keep it from running through his fingers. Here's one snippet from the chapter.

He talked of ambition, of how long it took fully to master any art or craft. And of secondary ambitions: the more you had, he said, the more fully you lived. “I always wanted to build or buy a 400-ton brig,” he said reflectively, “and sail her round the world. Never did. Now, I suppose, it’s too late.” He lit a cigarette and looked at me through the smoke. “Do the things you really want to do if you possibly can. Don’t wait for circumstances to be exactly right. You’ll find that they never are.”

I went to the gym today and leaving, I thought of this recent post of mine.

From time to time, I pester the kids about making a decision when I think they're procrastinating and I think the choice is either obvious or perishable. I've been pondering the source of my nagging and what life's general problem statement might be. I decided that the analogy I'd like to use is walking towards a cliff.

Taking my own life, here's where I am right now. I turn 61 this year. For me, the cliff might be mental degradation, physical disability or death. I have no idea how far off that cliff might be. It could be twenty years or it could be a month. If my father is any guide, I realistically have about 9 more productive years in me. His third career was art and his paintings from his 70s are not nearly as good as the ones from his 60s.

About 18 months ago, I set some weightlifting goals for myself to make before I turned 60 and I hit them all. 60# dumbbell curls, 90# triceps extensions and 500# incline leg presses were all achieved. In the process, I maxed out 7 different machines. That is, I was able to lift all the weight on 7 different exercise machines, ranging from upper back exercises to bench presses to leg machines. 

At 60, I was stronger than I'd ever been in my life. The first time I maxed out a machine, I whooped for joy because I couldn't believe it.

Today, I used that same bench press machine and did about half of that. My right shoulder can't handle it any more. Since my 60th birthday, a combination of injuries, family obligations, travel and ennui has cut way back on my workouts. It's conceivable that I'll be able to get back to those weights, but I doubt it. I've got a tendon/ligament injury in my left bicep area and arthritis attacking my right wrist.

This is not to complain, it's just the minor aches and pains that come with aging. It's a cliff, right up close and personal.

Do the things you really want to do if you possibly can. Don’t wait for circumstances to be exactly right. You’ll find that they never are.

You can argue with him if you'd like, but I won't.

No comments: