Sunday, September 06, 2020

Great Smoked Pork Ribs And A Bad Dinner Party

 Last night we had some friends over for dinner, so I made smoked pork ribs. I used the recipe from Myron Mixon's cookbook, Smokin'. It was different from the way we normally do them, notably in the use of a spray bottle with apple juice, vinegar and liquid, fake butter. In a previous effort, our ribs came out dry from the smoker, but these were fabulous. Spritzing for the win!

Fall-off-the-bone good in 3 hours.

As for the conversation at dinner, it was unpleasant as the husband of the couple tends to drink too much and he wouldn't lay off Trump bashing, particularly when wife kitteh told him I was going to vote for the guy. All he could talk about was how Trump was a liar and unstable and blah blah blah. I finally had to tell him that I don't pay attention to any of that. I don't care what the high school class presidents who went to Ivy League schools have to say and I don't listen to the gossip rags of the new media.

That shut him up briefly. Then they took the conversation into the riots and racism and things really went downhill.

Ugh.

Is it too much to ask to talk about aphids and cotton?

3 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

You were nicer than I would have been. My response would have been more along the line of, “So I assume you will vote for the man suffering from dementia? The man whose party condones and support the riots and burning of our cities? The man who has said that he wants us all to stay quarantined and be required to wear masks? Well this gathering is contrary to that quarantine. If you really believe that, then you should leave.”

tim eisele said...

Eh. That's one of the reasons I never liked parties much, particularly not parties where alcohol is served. Even genial drunks are more trouble than they're worth, and belligerent drunks kind of defeat the whole purpose of having a party in the first place.

That said, it takes two to tango. Did you make any attempt to switch the topic away from Trump when it came up (Hey, enough politics, would you like to see my cotton plants?), or did you leap into it with both feet?

Foxfier said...

*sympathy*

After I grew up, I was briefly very unpopular at family reunions because when Those Cousins started up on stupid political junk, I refuted it. With evidence.

Then people started noticing that they stopped talking after getting push-back. Instead of the usual "and then cousin so and so had his 'come at me, bro!' fit and stormed off" thing.

So I'm still a trouble maker, but the reunions are a lot nicer for everyone involved. (I don't bring up politics, other than where my mere existence causes it. IE, having six kids.)