Monday, October 01, 2018

I Forgot How To Swim

I've done nothing but diving and snorkeling for so long that I forgot how to swim.

I joined a gym recently and this morning I went to swim laps in their pool. I got in the pool, put on my goggles, put my face in the water and began to swim. Then I breathed.

Note that there was no head action between "put my face in the water" and "breathed." I stopped, stood up and coughed. Then I did it again. It took me a moment to realize what was happening. It was so natural to simply breathe while looking down that the entire swim was awkward and weird. I did a couple of laps and then bailed on that and went and used one of the stationary bikes.

Sigh. What a maroon!

3 comments:

Timothy Eisele said...

Well, you obviously need to take your snorkel when you go swim laps. Easy!

K T Cat said...

That was the first thing I thought! I might just do that. It was crazy awkward to swim. I wondered why I would bother to re-learn it when the whole point is to make diving and snorkeling easier.

Timothy Eisele said...

Aaand, I see that there is actually a type of snorkel designed for freestyle swimming - it goes in front of your face instead of up one side, and is shaped to keep the tip from sucking up water from the waves you are making. The idea is that you can concentrate on your swimming rather than on when to breathe. Looks a bit silly, but you don't care about that, right?

https://youtu.be/n5oVNhcd0kk