Friday, September 14, 2018

Holding The Pope's Beer

Me: What a week it's been! After decades of trying to keep the pederasty scandals buried, Pope Francis just accused the laity of being in league with Satan for wanting the complete truth about the homosexual abuse of our seminarians. How much worse can things get?

Pope Francis: Hold my beer!

Me: What?

Pope Francis: Hold my beer!

Me: I just held your beer a few days ago. Wasn't that enough?

Pope Francis: No. This is a different beer. Now hold it.

Me: I'm exhausted from all of this. I can't take much more of your nonsense.

Pope Francis: Who are you to question me? I'm the pope! Now HOLD MY BEER!
The Vatican's reported deal with China, to effectively abdicate the power of the pope to select bishops to the communist state, has therefore been met with feelings of shock and even betrayal among the faithful, especially those in China itself.

It is easy to see, then, why so many of the faithful in China who have risked so much to remain loyal to the Church now feel betrayed. Hong Kong's outspoken Cardinal Joseph Zen claimed that the Vatican is "selling out" Catholics in China. "A church enslaved by the government is no real Catholic Church," Zen asserted at a news conference.

A group of leading Catholic university professors, researchers, human rights activists and lawyers, mostly from Hong Kong, has published an open letter to Catholic bishops around the world imploring them to pressure the Holy See to reconsider the proposal.
Well, that answers the question of the day: How much worse can things get?

It's probably not even a good beer, more likely it's some lousy, lager-y Argentinian rubbish.

2 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

"A church enslaved by the government is no real Catholic Church,". Indeed. In fact it has been done before. It is called the Church of England.

But a moment of seriousness. The posts this week, had I not known better, might have led me to believe that this has become a tin-foil hat conspiracy blog.

ligneus said...

Being C of E myself I'm no doubt biased but it seems to me that Henry breaking from the Catholic Church and setting up an English church is somewhat different from the Pope abdicating power to the bishops in another country, and a Communist one at that.
It has also never occurred to me that the Church of England was 'enslaved by the government'.

All very mysterious.