Monday, June 16, 2014

One For My Dad

I meant to post this yesterday for Father's Day, but life got away from me and I didn't get to it.

This blog is one of the many things my father has given to me. I didn't realize it until I went with him to his West Point class reunion a few weeks ago. He was sitting with some of his classmates and they were chatting away about what they were doing these days when I realized that he was still working hard to improve and many of them were simply finding ways to amuse themselves.

When my dad retired from the military, he took up painting. Over time, he has become an accomplished artist to the point where some people only know him for his art and not for his substantial accomplishments serving our country. My mom continually strives to improve herself as well and has similar achievements. Growing up with such parents, continual improvement and work becomes second nature. It's inconceivable to me that you would do anything else.

This blog has been an educational tool, used more for learning than for picking up hits and readers. To feed it, I've read and pondered history, theology, economics, sociology, photography, videography and writing. The work I've done to cultivate The Scratching Post has been natural, flowing from who I learned to be growing up with my mom and dad.

Thanks, Dad.

No comments: