Saturday, October 02, 2010

A Diving Bell for my Video Camera

I recently picked up some more wave videos which I made into this short movie (the last wave is the best - it got the camera wet):


While I sat and watched the waves, I started thinking about Tim's suggestion that I should find a way to immerse my camera in the water to get still more dramatic shots. Being the frugal Dave Ramsey type, I started thinking about how I might make a crude diving bell for my camera.

A diving bell.

While this would work, I'm not willing to leave the bottom of the camera's underwater housing open. The camera doesn't need air to breath and I don't want it ruined accidentally. Instead, I think I'll use an old mayonnaise jar for the container, some pillow foam with a slit in it for the camera holder, and a 10# or 20# weightlifting weight as the base. I ought to be able to get the camera started filming, seal it in the jar and then place that anywhere I want. As long as it's near the surface, I should be able to get both wave videos and some sea life movies as well.

The best part is that it will cost me virtually nothing. Experimentation and movies to follow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mayo in an optical glass jar? You must have fancier stores than we do. Hold the empty jar up and look through it at distant objects... it'll be all distortion.

You'd be better off with a bigger jar and replacing the lid with window glass (properly caulked). Look at a canning jar lid for inspiration, replacing the metal lid with glass.

tim eisele said...

The canning jar idea could work. A while back, I needed a glass disk about 6 inches in diameter to fix a dissecting scope stage, and our local window glass repair shop was able to cut me one for pretty cheap - I think it was $10.

The wide-mouth canning-lid on my desk is 3-3/8 inch in diameter, will your camera fit in a jar with a mouth that size?

K T Cat said...

The distortion might give me some interesting visual effects.

K T Cat said...

I like your ideas, though.

slice india said...

Samsung has launched his best camera model Nx10.This is one great resolution camera.It has 3.0 MP display.This article has also good info about camera list.This camera has also better resolution than others.Sliceindia.com