Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Most of my Money Goes to Beer and Tobacco"


YouTube recommended this one to me because of a documentary I'd watched on Skid Row in LA. To me, this is the story of a beautiful person who can't get out of his own way. He needs love and support to stop his self-destructive habits and also to keep him on the straight and narrow path. It's not a story of class struggle or oppression by the rich and powerful or even of sin and degradation. He's just a guy who doesn't naturally have a strong will. The addictions are stronger than he is.

Yes, I saw the theme running through it blaming everyone else or perhaps no one in particular for his problems. "They mysteriously fired me" followed by a story of going back to drinking. Those dots are pretty easy to connect. It didn't make me think he was a failure, however. It just made me think he needed the affection and guidance of others to keep him strong.

No comments: