This is genius.
I'm a heavy user of AI for creative projects, particularly fiction writing. It allows me to learn and explore at rates I could never hope to achieve through normal means. I have a much better grasp of character design, plot pacing, writing styles, editing and much more because I write with AI as my junior partner.
Without AI, I probably would have thrown in the towel a year ago. Instead, I'm having a wonderful time creating.
2 comments:
Yes, people are way too loose with the term "AI Slop", applying it to everything that is made with AI. They are emphasizing the "AI" part, when they should be emphasizing the "Slop" part.
I have always seen a lot of slop on the Internet. It didn't need to involve AI in any way, it was just poorly-made junk that the creators went and exposed to the world when it wasn't fit to be seen. The quantity was limited, though, because a person can only crank out so much by hand. But the AI has increased the productivity of people who produce slop probably a hundredfold. So now instead of a few items here and there, it is a tidal wave obscuring everything that is worth seeing.
Sure, a person who takes it seriously can work with AI to produce some excellent art of all sorts. But those people are in a minority, and it shows. For every well-made piece like the one you linked to above, I see hundreds that are incomprehensible messes.
And, one of the things I have been thinking lately is that we are currently being shown why editors and critics are useful - the editors keep things from being shown in public before they are ready, and the critics help to sort out the fraction that is actually good work. And the AIs aren't really helping much here. They are too sycophantic to be good replacements for editors, and they don't yet really have enough ability to tell good from bad to be critics. And so the human editors and critics just can't keep up with the vast quantity of stuff the AIs are turning out, and the only reasonable recourse for anyone who doesn't want to get buried in unfinished cruft is just to ignore all of it.
Post a Comment