Saturday, March 31, 2018

Jordan Peterson On The Bible

... well, a part of what he has to say, anyway. He's a very prolific thinker, this Peterson fellow.

Right now, I'm making my second way through his book, 12 Rules for Life. It's good, but I don't recommend it highly. He's prone to coming at topics from wild tangents and his composition doesn't hold together very well. That's why I'm on my second pass. He's a brilliant guy, so I know there are pearls in there that I missed the first time. Yesterday, I came across his take on the God of the Old Testament as opposed to the God of the New Testament.

The God of the Old Testament is a God for children. Don't do this! Don't do that! If you disobey me, you'll get a spanking!

The God of the New Testament is a God for a humanity who has grown up. His commandments are aspirational rather than prohibitive. Try to be humble, loving, kind and forgiving. Live your life like Me. If you fail, pick yourself back up and try again.

I thought that an apt Easter weekend message. Hope you're having a good one out there!

Waves crashing against Sunset Cliffs after a recent storm. This has nothing to do with the post. I kind of liked the photo and thought I'd share it with you.

No comments: