Thursday, October 19, 2017

Applauding Intolerance

I had a couple of longer posts in mind dealing with this issue, but this one will provide kind of a meta-take on what I'm seeing. I'm in a hurry and don't have links for these, but they are all Googleable.
  • Jimmy Kimmel recently said "riddance" to Trump supporters and said he really didn't want to have a conversation with them.
  • Seth Meyers flipped off Trump supporters on air.
  • The Princeton newspaper posted an editorial that said, in essence, that conservatives shouldn't be granted free speech because their ideas are horrible.
I could go on, but it's worth noting that the first two were met with applause and approval. These are the very definition of closed-mindedness and that from the progressives who pride themselves on being open-minded.

Obviously, that's rubbish. 

What amazes me about this is that you can't convert people without talking to them. If you won't converse with them and not just preach, you can't change minds. The MC Escher attitude of the left would make more sense if they were coming from a position of power, but they're not. I don't think Republicans have ever been this powerful in terms of elected positions held.

So the left is historically weak and is determined to lock themselves in a tiny room with only themselves. I can't make heads or tails of it. The only thing I can think is something I've said here before - they've become a suicide cult.

There's no way out if you won't talk to people who think differently.

No comments: