Sunday, May 25, 2014

Don't Be Judgmental, You Might Hurt Someone's Feelings

Off in a comment thread somewhere (I forget where), I briefly engaged some Houston Astros fans* on the topic of traditional families. They took the position that all families are equally valid and I pointed to the scoreboard and let them know their team stank. In this case, I replied with prison population stats.

Their reply was to suggest that Jesus wouldn't say icky things to people and hurt their feelings**. Astros fans don't have many comebacks and this is a favorite. Turning it on its head, what they're saying is that it's better to keep quiet and deny people your hard-won wisdom than it is to be "judgmental" and hurt their feelings. Never mind the human wreckage that surrounds you, all that matters is that in this one moment, you didn't hurt someone's feelings.

AL West W L PCT GB
Oakland 30 19 .612 -
LA Angels 27 21 .563 2.5
Seattle 24 24 .500 5.5
Texas 24 25 .490 6.0
Houston 18 32 .360 12.5

Don't be judgmental. All teams are equally valid.

* - "Houston Astros Fans" is my new nickname for the "love makes a family" crowd. I like the analogy because it makes creative linkages in my mind, significantly reducing the effort required to make my side of the argument.

** - His statement to the adulteress who He saved from stoning contradicts this. "Go and from now on do not sin any more." That's pretty judgmental right there.

No comments: