Thursday, May 22, 2014

Being Open To A Life Touched By Racism

I just finished reading the book linked below, My Grandfather's Son, by Clarence Thomas. It opened my mind to things I hadn't fully understood before and helped me see a very different world. The book is autobiographical and as Clarence Thomas grew up in the segregated South and lived during a great racial attitude evolution in America, he describes all kinds of experiences, some good and some bad.

Because Thomas does not approach the subject in an accusatory tone, because he does not make me the implicit villain of the piece and because I knew he would not be wagging his finger at me before I even read the book, I was far more open to trying to put myself in his place and do my best to see the world through his eyes.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Sincerely, I'm a different person because I read it.

No comments: