Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Adobe MAX Report Out

I'm at Adobe MAX yesterday and today to see what's new in the world of professional content creation. In a word: Wow.

Yesterday I went to a session on the new workflows in DreamWeaver CS5 that allow you to simultaneously create websites for a wide variety of platforms - phone, tablet, PC. The audience loudly oohed and aahed as the new features were shown doing what they were meant to do. A roomful of designers sat there and repeatedly mumbled, "Dude. That's going to make my life soooo much easier." Adobe really has their act together.

The theme of the show, just as it is with Google's vision of the future, is how mobile devices are changing the way we consume the web and information in general. Charts and graphs were shown displaying how tablets and phones are overtaking laptop and desktop machines as the primary tool to view the web. Adobe has recognized this and CS5 is designed to let you create sites and graphics for consumption on all devices simultaneously. One of the coolest things yesterday in the DreamWeaver session was CSS code that recognized the user's screen resolution and adaptively used the right layout.

On a side note, I got a chance to play with the Samsung Galaxy. I liked it a lot. iPad users have sneered at its small screen, but the universal reaction to it was, "I can fit it in my pocket or purse. I can't do that with an iPad." I didn't think that would be a big deal, but it was. The screen resolution was great, too.

Gotta run. It's more about tablets this morning and then InDesign this afternoon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck buying a copy for work... and does it support smart cards? ;-)

K T Cat said...

I've already got the full CS5 suite. I love it. I did all the paperwork for it, so if you want to buy a copy, let me know and I can help.

K T Cat said...

If you meant buying a Galaxy, you're right. Then again, we don't work for a technology company, so we shouldn't expect it.

:-)

Mostly Nothing said...

So I read that Google was warning people about Android Tablets. 2.2 is not designed to scale for the larger screen.

They went on to say that do not expect an app that may work on a tablet in 2.2 to work in 3.0, which is being designed with tablets in consideration.

Will the galaxy run 3.0 when it comes out? What is the upgrade path for it? Until those questions are answered, I'm staying on the fence.

I do work for a technology company. I have no chance of getting anything like it.