Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Living As A Buddhist

... is something I've never tried. For all I know, it would be a vast improvement over my current life. I think it would require me to change some deep-seated beliefs and certainly force me to start new habits. I've not done it, so I don't know where it would lead.

Alternate Take


What if you were a Sioux Indian, living in South Dakota in 1880, but then you took a trip to London? London would have so much more to offer than Paleolithic life on the Great Plains. Living in Britain would require you to completely change your internalized view of reality. Would you dive into the science, literature and modern conveniences of Victorian England enough to make a real comparison or would you run back to eating burnt buffalo and digging in the dirt for tubers?

I'm not sure I wouldn't run back to the tubers. It's what I've been doing for decades.

I have habits I've been working to change for a long time. I try in a rather desultory fashion and so I've been largely unsuccessful. My efforts are half-hearted even while my intellectual understanding of habituation in humans has grown significantly. One requires long-term immersion in a new world, the other only requires reading and thought.

The Indian can live in South Dakota, but subscribe to Macmillan's.

If I read this regularly, I'll know what it's like to live in Victorian England!

Err, no. Not really.

No comments: