Monday, August 26, 2019

Homemade Cornmeh

No, I don't mean cornbread, though that's what I was trying to make. I mean cornmeh because that's what it was.

I've been meaning to try making cornbread from scratch, using cornmeal and an old-time recipe. I did that on Saturday and the result was a grainy platter of crunchy things.

It turns out that the cornmeal in the pre-made boxes of cornbread mix has been milled significantly finer that your standard cornmeal / grits. While they rose and formed and did all the things cornbreads are supposed to do, you couldn't get away from the coarse graininess of the meal.

Oh well. One less thing to try.

Oh yes, and it was made in a cast-iron skillet. That part is a winner.

5 comments:

Ilíon said...

I used to make cornbread all the time from when I was about 11-12 until I left for college.

And now, the only thing I really recall is that I used 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 corn meal.

Ilíon said...

Oh, and that I melted quite a bit of butter (*) in the cast-iron skillet before pouring in the batter.

(*) rather, in those days, margarine.

Ilíon said...

Hmmm ... maybe I melted the margarine in the skillet, then mixed the excess into the batter before pouring the batter into the skillet.

tim eisele said...

Yeah, I agree with Ilion, you need to add some sort of fine flour to make corn bread with the coarse corn meal. I mostly use the coarse corn to make corn mush for breakfast. It's actually pretty good with milk and a bit of brown sugar or honey. It makes a nice change from oatmeal, anyway.

K T Cat said...

Thanks for the suggestions!