Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Sleep Apnea All Star

So I've had sleep apnea for a while now. I can't remember the last time I got good sleep on consecutive days. It's a real bummer.

Two days ago, I went to the sleep apnea testing training class where they showed you how to use the overnight sensors that would record your sleep patterns to decide whether or not you really had sleep apnea.

I fell asleep in the class. Twice.

Why I still had to go through with the testing at home that night is beyond me. If someone falls asleep at the sleep apnea training session, that should earn them a gold star and a trip to the front of the line to grab the nearest CPAP machine.

3 comments:

tim eisele said...

I hear you. I had to see three doctors and spend the night in the sleep testing lab before they'd give me the CPAP prescription, even though it was painfully obvious that I needed one right from the start.

One warning: the only way to get used to the mask is sheer, bloody-minded stubbornness. It took almost eight months of trying every night before I could sleep through the whole night wearing the thing. But now nine years later, it has made all the difference in the world -I no longer doze off at awkward times. I think it has improved my attitude towards life in general, too.

K T Cat said...

I'm glad it's working out for you!

I just got my test results back. I'm averaging 62.7 episodes per hour. That's more than 1 per minute. Yowza! In reality, I'm really happy about it because it's such a simple solution to a serious problem.

Kelly the little black dog said...

The CPAP makes a huge difference. I've had it for over a decade. Strange that your insurance is being so difficult. My GP sent me to the sleep clinic and I got it immediately after. Unlike Tim you may not have a difficulty adjusting. It really depends on if you can keep you mouth shut while sleeping. I had no issue other than being tethered. There are a number of mask types too. I just use the nasal pillow. Can't imagine having to use the full face mask.