Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Roly Poly Habitat

Background here. Previous update here.

I took these two shots last night after dark. I didn't get home until after dark, so this was the best I could do.



The base is a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/8" plywood. The outer walls are 2x4s and the inner dividers are 2x2s. The polies can crawl anywhere they like. The medium in each sub-habitat is up to the level of the 2x2s. The top is window screening stapled down.

The construction is quite good - all outdoor screws, countersunk into the wood. My daughter did 90% of the construction. I did the last 10% because I was faster and we were running out of daylight to get the job done and go on our poly hunt.

1 comment:

tim eisele said...

Very nice. I'm going to make a prediction, let's see how accurate I am:

A preferred habitat will be the crack where the 2x4s and 2x2s meet the plywood. When the time comes to count roly-polys, your daughter may want to pry up the 2x2s to see how many of them have gotten in between the pieces of wood.