Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits

I like to make Southern food when I watch N'Awlins Saints games. On Monday night, I made oven-fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits, with recipes taken off of Cook's and linked to right there.

For the chicken, I used flour instead of Bisquick and I used thighs with the skin on. Thighs with their skin have plenty of fat to give the coating that fried chicken feel without having to use butter or oil for frying. I also set the oven a bit higher, around 450, so I could make the biscuits at the same time. Turning the chicken halfway through like they recommend is crucial, otherwise one site is cooked and other side just has the coating sitting there - it needs the juices and fats running down over it to cook the coating onto the skin.

Just thought I'd share. I wish I'd taken pictures.

5 comments:

Tots said...

As a dedicated Patriots hater, I loved Monday night.

I think the Saints could go all the way this year. They look sharp.

In a couple of weeks they will clean Dallas's clock.

Unknown said...

Yum yum!

Of course, you needed pinto beans and turnip greens to make it a true Southern meal.

Oh! And don't forget the sweet tea as well!

Niall Mor said...

KT, I've always wondered why a San Diegan such as yourself would cheer for the Saints. Are you originally from New Orleans? I'm pulling for them because the Panthers are lousy this year (Don't get me started), because the people of New Orleans had to endure Katrina, and because the Saints were so lousy for so long and FINALLY have a good team.

Dean said...

Damn postal service. My invite languishing in the dead letter office, no doubt.

K T Cat said...

Niall, about 20 years ago, I was working with a really great group of people on a fun project here in San Diego. We went out to a sports bar to watch Monday Night Football twice as a group and both times the Saints were playing. Both times everyone else in the bar was rooting for the other team. Just for those nights, we became wild, rowdy Saints fans.

For Christmas that year, my best friend bought us matching Saints sweatshirts. The next year I bought us matching Saints ballcaps. Then I took up Southern cooking.

From there on out, I've been a rabid New Orleans Saints fan. The two times I've visited the city I've loved it, too. I've always loved the Southeast US.

There. That's the story!