Saturday, February 11, 2017

On Blogging And Arthritis

Today is the Post's 11th Blogiversary. I've often considered quitting this thing, but I can't. I find it a struggle to just miss a day. Hooray for OCD!

As years go by, things change and not just one's typing speed*. Things break down.

Years and years ago, I practiced kung fu. I got good enough to where if I fought an octogenarian nun, there was a 50-50 chance that it would end with me pulling a muscle and falling down while she laughed at me. In any case, for one of my sash tests, I had to break boards with a variety of strikes and both hands. I remember that when I was practicing my leopard's fist strike with my left hand, I used improper form and drove the knuckles of my middle finger right through the back of my elbow.

Well, that's the way it felt, at least.

Anyway, earlier this week, I started having pain in one of those knuckles it was difficult to bend. I thought nothing of it, but it persisted until I realized what it was. Arthritis. It took a couple of days to recall the old kung fu injury and put two and two together.

Something I've noticed as I age is that things start to break and you realize that they're never going to get better. It's still at the wry amusement stage for me as I can look at the damaged body part and say, "Hmm. Well that's not gonna heal" and smile.

So there you have it. 11 years of typing like a madman on a keyboard and arthritis. I've got the flu today**, too, but that will get better. I hope your day is a good one. Me, I'm going to lay around and watch soccer.

* - I've unintentionally become pretty fast touch typist.

** - I'm blogging with the flu. See what I go through for you people? ;-)

1 comment:

tim eisele said...

Congratulations on the 11 years! Too bad about the arthritis, but yeah, these things accumulate. Although, mid-50s still isn't irrevocably down the pit of decay, it still is likely to get better at least some of the time.