Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Going To School When You've Got A Family

... is really hard.

I was very fortunate to be able to finish my education before I got married and had kids. I didn't realize how fortunate until last night. This week, I'm taking a computer and network security class that will culminate in an exam which I need to pass to obtain my certificate. Yesterday, I needed to come home and study. However,
  • Our oldest son was sick
  • Our daughter needed tutoring in Chemistry
  • I had to shop for food
  • I needed to run two more errands that couldn't be postponed
  • I had to make dinner for the family
  • I had to walk the dogs
  • All of the daily chores the kids normally do were left to me because of illness and homework
  • My wife had to go to a fund-raiser for a mission in Central America
The class I'm taking isn't that big of a deal. I know about 70% of the material already so the instruction is just filling in the gaps. Still, it gave me a real wake-up call about those who try to take serious classes while parenting. If you're doing it, you've got my respect and admiration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know how you do it.

i have a 1 year old and barely find enough time in the day to read your blog, let alone post on mine!

K T Cat said...

drozz, my kids are much older. Our youngest is 17. They're very self-sufficient, normally. A 1-year-old would wipe me out.

Having said that, my wife and I can't wait for grandchildren. I'd love to be wiped out by a 1-year-old!

And then give them back to mom and dad. :-)