Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Microsoft Update Drives Me Bonkers

Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

I've got a PC that I had to wipe clean and restore from a restoration partition this week. No problem. All the data was saved and the apps can be reinstalled muy pronto. The restoration took almost no time at all. (Thank you, Dell!) What killed me were the Windows updates. The cycle went something like this.
  1. Boot
  2. Open Windows Update
  3. No updates needed!
  4. Click on "Check for Updates"
  5. Wow! I found some critical updates. Should I install them?
  6. Yes
  7. Download and install
  8. You need to reboot. Want to reboot?
  9. Yes
  10. Go to #1
Why isn't there just a "Bring my computer up to date" button? There was no reason for me to be involved at all. The thing could have gone through that whole iterative process on it's own while I went off and did something more rewarding. Instead, I was up until about midnight nursing the thing.

The sooner Adobe Creative Cloud is available on a Chromebook, the better.

1 comment:

Doo Doo Econ said...

Oh you misread, it is "Windows up-late" not "Windows update"