Sunday, April 07, 2013

The Chassis Is Your Friend

I was back working on the MGB wiring yesterday, teaching myself to braid, solder and shrink-tube triple wire connections so I could run a common ground line through the trunk. After three attempts, I got the hang of it when I realized that running ground wires was stupid. All you need to do is run the ground wire to the nearest bolt that goes into the chassis. The chassis is your wiring harness for grounding!

The left-side rear flasher and a safety light go straight into the screw that holds on the flasher bulb housing. No need to make an elaborate wiring harness.
I didn't feel bad about learning to braid, solder and shrink-tube, though. I'll need it for the feed lines coming back from the engine compartment where they go to more than one bulb at the same time. I used the video below (there are zillions of the things like this on YouTube) and just as advertised, it gave me an incredibly strong, conductive junction.

2 comments:

Kelly the little black dog said...

Isn't it amazing what can be learned by watching a youtube video?

K T Cat said...

For all practical purposes, there are no longer any barriers to learning.