Monday, May 04, 2020

Things I Got Wrong, Chicom Flu Edition

After snarking at everyone else, I thought it might be interesting to see what I've gotten wrong about the pandemic. I reviewed March and April on this blog and came up with a few.

On February 25, we held a massive Mardi Gras party. That might have been a mistake, but none of our guests have been hospitalized, so maybe we escaped easily.

On February 29, I was still going to the gym. Ah, how I miss those days. My dad bod has returned.

I kept thinking that the homeless in LA, SF and NY were going to get whacked. That doesn't seem to have happened. I also thought Japan would be stomped as the virus really goes for the elderly. That didn't happen either, yet.

In mid-March, I said this was going to be over sooner rather than later and we should all hurry to make some use of our brief time in lockdown. Hahahahaha! What a doofus!

I blogged several times about candidate cures, sure they were going to prove me right. "Don't bet against Big Pharma!" I said, over and over. Err, never mind. They still might come up with the cure, but it's a bit trickier than I had thought.

I'm sure there were others, but that's all I found after a quick scan.

To make up for those blunders, here's a photo of some flowers from our garden. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

But you’ve really not done too badly.

Let’s see you also predicted that the market (technically the S&P) had hit bottom as of March 23 (called on March 24). So far that’s dead on.

On April 9 you closed your blog with ”One final thought. I am highly suspicious of the people who want to keep this lockdown going for more than a month longer. It seems to me that they're the same people who long to recreate Mao's Paradise. They love control and power. It sure looks to me like they're anxious to use this crisis to grab it.”. Given what we are seeing in MI, CA, and ME to pick three of the low hanging fruit, I’d say you were spot on here as well.

These two make you a positive Svengali compared to this prediction from March 27: ”Ezekiel Emanuel: U.S. Will Have 100 Million Cases Of COVID-19 In Four Weeks, Doubling Every Four Days”. He’s only off by 2 orders of magnitude. That prediction can be found here https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/27/ezekiel_emanuel_us_will_have_100_million_cases_of_covid-19_in_four_weeks.html. He also said: “U.S. Must Stay Locked Down For 12-18 Months Until There's A Vaccine” (See
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/07/ezekiel_emanuel_us_must_stay_locked_down_for_12-18_months_until_theres_a_vaccine.html).

So you versus one of the geniuses who helped design The (UN)affordable Care Act?

KT - for the win.

K T Cat said...

Love you, man.

Mostly Nothing said...

I've got some miscellaneous ramblings...


I've wondered why the homeless haven't been hit harder. Especially in over crowded SF. Either the news has manipulated the way we think the homeless live in SF, or well, I don't know what. News stations, shows, and news papers have 0 credibility with me.

I've also been wondering lately about balance. Are the negatives in this abnormal life we have right now still less than what would have happened had we not shutdown society?

I still vividly remember the looks on two of the boys faces after their last varsity basketball game. They had one, and word came that a team they had beaten twice this year beat the team that no one could beat. In three days, they would be playing to go to State with the odds in their favor. They were floating on air. Then everything collapsed. The rest of their senior year is gone.

We've never been ones to go out a lot, but now stuck at home is taxing on the body and mind.

I have many projects around the house - strip and paint the deck, chop wood, a lot of things on the MG, the garage floor. I don't want to get to too many of them at once, because I don't want to run out. A few of them are also on hold for warmer weather, but several could be done by now.


Oh, and happy Cinco de Mayo. My wife's birthday. We've got Margaritas tonight.