Monday, March 16, 2020

Use Your Listening Ears

... when reading about how the experts do things.

Or, to use my favorite Brian Tracy quote, best said in Brian's somewhat childish voice:
If you want to learn how to do something, find someone who knows how to do it. Ask them how it's done. Then do that.
A long time ago, I checked out some hot rod websites to see how they designed and built custom electrical harnesses for their cars. Because the space behind the dash is so cramped, they recommended building a mock up of the dash out of cardboard. I thought I was close to finished with my harness, so I didn't do what the experts suggested.

My cockpit harness turned out to be a disaster.


Yesterday, in less than 90 minutes, I made a 1-1 scale model of the dash. I'm now going to build a tight, clean harness with that as my template.


Sigh.

5 comments:

tim eisele said...

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Will Rogers

K T Cat said...

OW! That hurt!

;-)

Ohioan@Heart said...

I always knew I liked book learnin'. Now I know why.

Mostly Nothing said...

You still need some slack so you can remove a gauge without having to take out the dash.

This maybe the spring where I finally pull the dash and replace the seals on the wind shield.

K T Cat said...

MN, I'll make use of Ilion's ASCII, thumbs-up emoji here.

!m