Saturday, August 17, 2019

Homemade Louisiana Hot Sauce

I harvested my cayennes yesterday and made a batch of hot sauce using this recipe.

A pick of peppers, unpickled.
I picked the recipe because it called for more than vinegar and salt. Adding in the onions and garlic looked to be a good move, something to give the sauce a richer flavor instead of the simple hot-vinegar taste you get from Tabasco.

As it simmered, I began to worry as there was almost no odor to it at all. I needn't have been concerned. Once the veggies were soft and the mix had cooled, I put it in the blender and added the vinegar. There was the familiar scent! Once it was pureed, I poured it into a pickle jar and then spooned it out on a sandwich I was eating. Fabulous! Given the peppers, I don't think I'd buy hot sauce again.

As a data note, one full harvest of cayenne peppers from my plant yielded about 5 ounces of usable peppers. That allowed me to make a half-recipe from the one linked above. It still filled a decent-sized jar.

I left the seeds in to give it a bit more kick. And kick it did! Delish!

1 comment:

Foxfier said...

My cheeks are flushing just LOOKING at those peppers--nicely done!