Sunday, May 12, 2019

Universities And Downward Mobility

Losing wealth is caused by going to an expensive university?

Here's the blurb from a recent essay discussing anti-Semitism at elite colleges.
American universities have become whirlpools of downward mobility that target the people and the ideas that they once cherished and protected. It’s time for Jews to stop paying for them.
I don't know about the anti-Semitism part, but I do know plenty of people who are deep in debt or their kids are deep in debt after going to high-end universities with student loans. They exit with liberal arts degrees with no real prospect of paying those debts back short of living like a pauper for a decade or more. The parents were all middle class or better, too.

I never thought of it in terms of social mobility, but it makes a lot of sense.

3 comments:

Ilíon said...

When I was at college in the late 1970s, it was clear even that that students are nothing but milch cows. Fortunately for me, I was in what we now call STEM.

Ilíon said...

... which could have been taught in high school.

K T Cat said...

They are effectively parasites.