Sunday, March 17, 2019

Dive! Dive!

Yesterday, we planted fruits, veggies and herbs in our raised beds. Before doing so, we combed the dirt for grubs and found quite a few. I noticed an interesting behavior in them - they had an uncanny ability to bury themselves quickly. I took a video of it. The grub manages to get almost completely underground in less than 10 seconds. Interestingly, it leaves a bit of its tail above ground, perhaps because it doesn't know that part is still sticking up.

Grubs are gross, but I thought you still might like to see the video. Enjoy?

2 comments:

tim eisele said...

Man. Even if we dug up a grub this time of year, it wouldn't be moving *that* fast. I suppose your soil temperature is well above 70 degrees?

I like the little woodlouse-ish critters that are also crawling around. Your soil is certainly not dead!

K T Cat said...

Woodlouses? I think not. Their Latin name is rolius polius.

;-)

Yeah, the soil and the air were in the 70s this week.