Sunday, March 03, 2019

At Some Point, You Need To Play Offense

Wife kitteh is now down with the flu and this is my first day back from the sick list myself, so I've got my hands full. This will be short.

I'm currently working my way through St. Augustine's City of God. It's a great book, dealing with the fall of Rome and the changes wrought in Roman culture as a result of Christianity. Something hit me the other day, out of the blue. St. Augustine doesn't pull any punches. He doesn't dance around the topic of the Truth and what it means to believe Christianity is the Truth.

City of God takes on the Roman pagans and Roman secular culture in general and ruthlessly picks them apart, piece by piece. The entire thing is a long and detailed takedown of his intellectual opponents.

I wish we had someone like St. Augustine these days.

A G. K. Chesterton would do nicely as well.

2 comments:

Foxfier said...

Well, we do have BOTH of them, easily accessible.....and Chesterton kept making me put down the book to think, because what he talked about was so freakishly modern.

Don't get me started on Sheen.

So we probably have the modern version...somewhere. And just don't recognize it yet.

K T Cat said...

Meanwhile, il Papa is wandering around in a daze, saying things like, "Well, you know, God made lots of different religions, so I guess any one of them is no better than any other ..."