Read these lyrics from their hit, Dixieland Delight, with the Kavanaugh accusations in mind.
Rolling down a backwoods Tennessee bighwayIt's a song about the natural affection between a man and a woman - his strength and her softness, his passion and her happiness. He works hard for her and she gives his life meaning.
One arm on the wheel
Holding my lover with the other
A sweet, soft, Southern thrill
Worked hard all week
Got a little jingle
On a Tennessee Saturday night
Couldn't feel better
I'm together with my dixieland delight
Spend my dollar
Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight
Holdin' her up tight
Make a little lovin'
A little turtle dovin' on a Mason Dixon night
It's my life
Oh so right
My dixieland delight
YOU'RE FULL OF HATE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK! HE'S A RAPIST, FULL OF TOXIC MASCULINITY! HE MUST SHUT UP AND BELIEVE ALL WOMEN!
The music video for the song is shown below and I can't even imagine how triggering it is for a Democrat.
- Everyone is white
- Even worse, they are Southern whites
- On Mason Dixon nights, these guys reach for their sheets and nooses, no doubt
- The title is a dead giveaway about their racism
- Everyone is heterosexual
- The women are not in STEM fields and some of them are in farm fields
- The women are wearing dresses and skirts, showing submission to the male patriarchy
- The women's truths are not being heard
- The dozens of women these men have assaulted are not being heard. In fact, they're invisible!
- At 2:04, the man attacks the woman from behind, surprising and overpowering her
- It's a good bet that none of the men have been to sensitivity or diversity training
- The men are driving old trucks, spewing pollution into the air
- Watch it all the way to the end to see the massive carbon footprint of loads of phallocentric old cars (all driven by men, white men)
I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Until the band shows that happiness and love between men and women can only be based on an understanding of the problematic nature of masculinity, the patriarchy and white oppression, Democrats will never be satisfied with the music of Alabama.
Hmm. I could just shorten that to Democrats will never be satisfied with the music of Alabama and be done with it.