Monday, February 26, 2018

Grilling The Perfect Sausages

... or at least really good ones.

Following the previous day's catastrophe where I turned a whole bunch of sweet, Italian sausages into charred corpses only identifiable from their dental records, I gave it another try last night. I took two sausages from the fridge and warmed them in the toaster oven at 150. Three others were put in a bath of homemade brown (beef and pork) stock at 140. They warmed as the coals in the Weber chimney came up to temperature. The sausages were then grilled, to crisp and mark the skins and finish the last bit of cooking. I ovened them on the Weber for maybe 3 minutes just to be sure.

Wife kitteh was skeptical about the 'boiled' ones, but they turned out the best. The brown stock mellowed the flavor of the sausages nicely and kept them really moist. The toastered ones were good, too, but the brown stock sausages won, going away.

Here are some photos from the event. Enjoy!

After the warming, the brown stock ones had lost their color. The toastered ones looked like they did when they came out of the package.

Direct flamage for just long enough to mark them properly.

Off the fire and on to ovening positions.

Dig in, my friends!

5 comments:

Mostly Nothing said...

We always boil in water and beer. It adds favor and removes fat from the sausage. And so less flame ups on the grill.

It is supposed to get up to 40 most everyday this week. Probably will need to grill later this week. The snow should be gone from the deck tomorrow. Time to go to the Hyvee.

tom said...

I grew up pre-boiling bratwurst then finishing them on the grill. I amazed my mother by showing her that it could be done all on the grill, indirect heat. That's how I do all my sausages now.

Still grilling, even as the temperatures dip into the 70s :-)

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

I broil them. Not directly under the element, but a few inches down. Hot enough to do the job, but not burn or burst.

K T Cat said...

I'm not sold on the boiling. I don't know why, but I feel differently about warming them in a 140 degree bath than boiling them.

Foxfier said...

Maybe it's that the fat gives flavor?

I'll probably start toast-boiling them (fried, but with liquid at least halfway up the sausages) from now on.

Love sausage, but a bit over-aware of what an awesome growing medium ground meat is, and the inherent dangers of undercooked pork.