Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Sad

Here in Tierrasanta, we live in a coyote danger zone for cats. When our  previous Maximum Leader, Katie, passed away, we wanted to get a fat, old cat who wouldn't roam. Katie was too old to wander by the time we moved here. We thought we had another homebody with Maddi who was chubby and 7 years old. Instead, she turned out to be quite the athlete and could jump to the top of our 6' tall fence in a single leap.

Maddi became the Queen of the Cul-de-Sac. It was her domain and she'd be out there at night to hunt. That was dangerous, but we hadn't seen coyotes on the street, so as time went on, we relaxed about it. My wife told me she was going out the back way as well into the canyon which is High Danger Territory, but I'd never seen that, so I figured it was rare.

In any case, once we had Maddi, it was what it was. If she wanted to run around outside, that was what we let her do. She was quite the hunter and was very, very happy.

We haven't seen her in 3 days and she's not one to miss a meal. I've always said I want my cats to live and die like cats, but when they vanish it really hurts.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

11 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

Sad indeed. I will keep a good thought for her and you.

K T Cat said...

Maybe we need to go for a Ragdoll next time.

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

I think it's a shame to keep cats cooped up in the house all the time. Sorry she's missing.

Ohioan@Heart said...

Jedi - I always thought that too until the cat we have came along. She was born of a feral cat (in Ohio), and was badly hurt as a kitten (two broken legs: left front and rear back, unknown cause). She was kept in while she healed. Since then she WILL NOT go outside. We can leave the door wide open and she'll walk over to it and sit down at the threshold and look out, but that's it. So she's happy inside and who am I to say it should be otherwise?

K T Cat said...

Ohioan - I'd love to have a cat like that where I live.

Kelly the little black dog said...

Sorry to hear the concerning news about Maddi. Hoping for the best.

Sissy Willis said...

I'm just repeating and repeating in my soul what you said: "She was quite the hunter and was very, very happy." When our hearts break I try to believe we gave them the opportunity for a full life. And who knows? Maybe she's still out there on her way home.

K T Cat said...

Thanks, all.

Ilíon said...

.

tim eisele said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's a dangerous world out there, particularly when you're a smallish animal.

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

The last cat I had, it was in the contract that he would be indoors only. And so it was. He didn't mind much. At one of our houses, though, he'd sneak out and roam the garden a bit. I took a picture of him out there. Sigh. I miss him. I hope to get a cat next year.