Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Progressivism Dissolves Upon Prolonged Contact With Adulthood

Perusing some Twitter feeds of people who are supporting Planned Parenthood's experimente an lebenden Menschen durchgeführt*, the pattern I noticed was that the most strenuous defenders were young, unmarried, college-indoctrinated women. There were plenty of their male counterparts as well, but their family status wasn't as obvious.

My Twitter stream, being predominantly Catholic, is enraged by PP's slaughter and harvest program. It's also rich in married moms.

I considered engaging with some of the PP supporters, but going through their content, it was light on reflection and heavy on shrill shouting. Like my engagements with Twitter atheists, the odds of having them even recognize what you were trying to say looked to be near zero. They had their catechisms down pat and you weren't going to get past them with mere words.

I then wondered what it said that married, middle-aged moms were against PP and college-age, single, grievance-primed women were pro-PP. As a big believer that parenthood is the real rite of passage into adulthood, I've concluded that progressive thought tends to dissolve upon contact with adulthood. As an adult, you find that the world is much more interested in outcomes and much less in intentions. That, to me, is a big difference between the two camps.

Pine needles shot in macro mode, trying for a perspective angle. It has nothing to do with the rest of the blog post, I just like the photo and I didn't have any other image to throw in here.
* - Planned Parenthood's activities always sound better in the original German.

2 comments:

Jedi Master Ivyan said...

I can see how a young woman who has never had a child could think of the fetus as just a blob. Once a woman has seen her own body produce life, it's much harder to deny the humanity of that speck that has only just begun.

K T Cat said...

Ivyan, that's kind of what I thought, too.