Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lays Potato Chips Have An Evolutionary Advantage

At work, one of my buddies brings in boxes of assorted chips from Costco for all of us to share. By the time we get to the last few bags, all that's left are the Lays potato chips. Clearly, over a long period of evolution, Lays potato chips developed some kind of competitive advantage over the other chips. They must have, because they are able to evade their ecosystem's predators much better than the rest.

We're not sure what it is. They may have some kind of camouflage, a painful sting, a bitter taste, coloring like another kind of chip which is poisonous, it could be any number of things.

3 comments:

tim eisele said...

A kind of related thing that I noticed some time ago: When I go to parties, usually the (non-alcoholic) things people bring to drink are Coke, Pepsi, and (occasionally) Mountain Dew. Nobody ever brings root beer or cream soda. But, when *I* bring the root beer and/or cream soda, they are drunk *immediately*, sometimes before anyone even gets as far as cracking open the colas. Which kind of suggests that a lot of people have actually forgotten what they really like to drink!

lee said...

When I was an undergrad, during my senior year I could not drink alcohol, so I brought non- alcoholic beer to parties. Which was invariably stolen. When I was able to drink, I brought KB Tooth, which looked like quarts cans of oil--but recognizable of someone stole it.

IlĂ­on said...

"When I was an undergrad, during my senior year I could not drink alcohol, so I brought non- alcoholic beer to parties. Which was invariably stolen."

How much you want to bet it was stolen by girls so they could later claim "I was soooo drunk" as justification for their sluttish behavior?