Friday, February 20, 2015

Dale Carnegie Is A Lot Of Work

I'm finally getting around to reading (listening to) Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. What a chore! Instead of this:
Me: You stink! And you're an idiot! I think you stink because you're an idiot!
Dale wants you to spend all this time figuring out what the other person wants and showing them how you can help them get it while complementing them and avoiding criticism.

All I can say is that the book stinks and I think it was written by an idiot. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a mob of people at my front door with pitchforks and boiling tar. They look to be frantically plucking chickens and piling up the feathers for some reason.

What a bunch of morons.

2 comments:

IlĂ­on said...

So, his method is: be the Ultimate Back-scratcher?

lee said...

I took the Dale Carnegie course and loved it. It is kind of a speaking course more than anything, and a little pricy at that. But I did get a lot out of it.

We got these little booklets with pithy sayings. Something about it (and frankly everything we learned) said to me, "This could so easily become a cult." So, if you're looking to start a cult, I think emersing yourself in Dale Carnegie would be a good place to start.