Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Greetings From Grand Cayman, Proper

Many decades ago, when I was just a boy, I had dreams. Chief among them, I wanted to scuba dive among coral reefs and I wanted to see the Monkees in concert, specifically to see Mike play Papa Gene's Blues. Later, I added seeing a New Orleans Saints game at the Superdome, visiting the Vatican and going to Ireland to the list. These weren't worthy goals, they were just tidbits of pleasure on my bucket list*.

Thanks to my wonderful wife, after this week, only a trip to Ireland will still be on the list.

We haven't gone diving yet (videos to follow when we do), but we've checked in to one of the best vacation rental houses we've ever had.

The house next to us has a boat, but we don't. We've got a pair of kayaks which is plenty of awesomeness for us.

The house is right on the beach. This is the view from the second story balcony.

The water outside our back door is a lagoon. Surf breaks on the reef a ways out. We can walk out and snorkel right here.
This trip is going to be epic. Having said that, trips or no trips, Mike's words ring true. "I have no more than I did before, but now I've got all that I need, for I love you and I know you love me." Thanks, honey.

Important Aside: So what's the "proper" part in the title? Grand Cayman is part of Her Majesty's domains, the UK, and it seems to take that quite seriously. We landed in Grand Cayman yesterday afternoon and in the airport is a sign, right behind the Customs agent's desk. It tells you that among crimes for which you can be arrested and imprisoned are foul language and insulting a woman's modesty. I thought of the screaming such laws would cause in the US and then wondered why. Despite my chosen affectation of having a foul mouth, I could live my whole life without swearing and insulting women and have a good time of it at that. Frankly, I'd be a much better person if I did obey that law.

* - I've never been a fan of making a big deal of your bucket list. To me, it just seems like a lot of shallow nonsense. Once you've cliff dived into the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, then what? Do you get up from the emergency room operating table where the doctors have miraculously pieced you back together, grab a pen and scratch it off the list? It seems so anti-climactic. Instead, I'd suggest that your bucket list is empty calories, a dessert menu to sample after you've finished your delicious main course of serving God and serving others.

1 comment:

Foxfier said...

Have fun!