Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Biggest Advantage Of DSLR Cameras Over Pocket Cameras

... is the viewfinder.

We've got two of the newer, relatively high-end pocket cameras. One has excellent optics including a 22x zoom. However, you frame the shot by looking at the LCD screen on the back. If the lighting isn't good, that image is washed out and you're essentially firing blindly. I've brought it with me a couple of times in the car for photos of opportunity and struggled with that. I end up backing the zoom out until I'm guaranteed it's going to capture the image I want somewhere in the shot.

My Nikon D60 artillery piece is another thing entirely. You look right through the camera lens with your eye shielded from glare and know precisely what you're getting. You shoot with confidence. It makes a huge difference to me.

No comments: