Thursday, September 12, 2013

You're Nothing Special

... so saith our Secretary of State*, Vladimir Putin.
My working and personal relationship with President Obama is marked by growing trust. I appreciate this. I carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday. And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation.
Snarking aside, that editorial was about a thousand times more coherent than anything coming out of Laurel and Hardy. When I read it, I thought I could see Russia's motivation in supporting Assad. The last thing they want are more weapons in the hands of Islamofascists, finding their way into Chechnya and Russia.

Just what the heck America is trying to accomplish remains a mystery.

* - At least I think that's his title. Since he's running our foreign policy, that's got to be his position, right?

2 comments:

B-Daddy said...

Russia's national interests are served by opposing Sunni Muslim groups like Al-Qaeda and the Muslim Bros. The Chechens are mostly Sunni and have seemingly allied themselves with these other groups.

K T Cat said...

Thanks for the info, B-Daddy!