Monday, January 28, 2013

Increasing Instability

I'm writing this on a PC in the business center of a Marriott in Chicago. More on that later, but here's a chart from a recent post on Zero Hedge*.

The percentage of the population with a job has decreased to mid-1970s levels.
The nation was quite different in the 1970s. For one thing, we wore a lot more polyester and hideous prints. In addition to the ghastly fashions of the day, there was a much higher percentage of married families and stay-at-home moms. When you look at this chart, the figure for the mid-70s represents greater social stability and the figure for today represents less.

* - I said I'd reduce my consumption of ZH, not eliminate it. At least, that's what I think I said. It's too hard to check as this PC uses IE as it's browser and for whatever reason, the thing can't handle multi-tabbed browsing. Pathetic.

No comments: